Jul 26, 2011

Experimental Filters

This is a post late in coming, as usual. Sometimes I think I need to put a "go blog today" in reverse on a post-it note, stuck to my forehead. That way, whenever I go by a mirror I will remember. It's not as if I don't remember my blog, rather I get distracted by shiny moments. Anyhow, back to the mad scientist laboratory, ahem, I mean well thought out experiment.

Xtine over at Blipfoto, mentioned creating interesting effects using household supplies. My curiosity was piqued so I gave it a shot. Her results are far more outstanding than mine but it was a very good learning process.

You can read more on Xtine's methods here: http://www.blipfoto.com/entry/1284688.

I used bags of water with food coloring and the bay leaf trick. My results are below.

Photo with No Flash Filters

Keep in mind, the bags and bay leaf were held over the flash as the photo was taken. Each of the photos are different shots. They do not have any computer filters applied to them.

Colored Water that I Used For Flash Filters

Results




Last try was with the Bay leaf. I think this technique has the most potential. Although I question whether fresh or dried would be better.



The orange filter added this warm glow to the photos I tested it on. For instance, you can see the warmth the orange contributes in this photo of my youngest son. I foresee a lot of good photo applications using this filter as well.


By the way, one of these photos made it onto my Blipfoto entry for that day, complete with witty text. Check it out: http://www.blipfoto.com/entry/1289229.

~Jessica~

No comments: