Sep 11, 2009

Clafoutis + Blackberry = Divine

Can you guess what I have been doing the last few days? Here is a hint. It is in the title of this post. Need another? Look at my hands.



Yes, that is yummy delicious Blackberry juice on my hands. We have been picking this week and we will be picking some more tomorrow.



So what is one to do with all these berries? My hubby is working on some Blackberry Liquor. I would share the recipe but it is his family's secret. Well maybe I can convince them to let me share it with the rest of the world. We'll see. For now, I will share with you my glorious baking secrets in my messy kitchen.



Blackberry Clafoutis was on the menu for dessert tonight. Here's the secret... I discovered it via Alicia Paulson at Posie Gets Cozy: http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/posie_gets_cozy/ If you are looking for inspiration whether it is baking or sewing, she has it. Back to my clafoutis.



Clafoutis is a custard type dessert. It originates from France, where all good custards come from. It is traditionally made with whole, unpitted cherries. However, it is easily adapted for other fruit.



This recipe really filled up my pie pan. My kitchen counter is only about 5 feet (1.5 meters) from my stove but it felt like it took me a full minute to get there. Boy, was I ever hoping not to suddenly become klutzy.



All done and smelling wonderful.



Now its all gone except two little slices. I am thinking this looks like breakfast tomorrow. It is the most important meal of the day so why not have dessert for it once in a while.

Original Pear Clafoutis recipe that this was modified from is found at Food Network's site. For blackberry version omit the pear brandy.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pear-clafouti-recipe/index.html

~Jessica~

5 comments:

Chloe m said...

Jessica,
Your hands look like mine after I have been peeling beets.
Thanks for sharing the recipe and the links, etc. I am going to have to try this with pears, since we get those at the farmers market. I bet that tasted fabulous!
Rosey

Danielle S said...

okay first that looks REALLY yummy....BUT - I'm here to let you know you've won Pick A Kit!!!! Please contact me @ ataxicemotions@aol.com so we can get you your kit!! Thank you for playing!!!!!! Gonna go drool some more now...

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

Gosh, Jessica, clafoutis looks marvelous. Makes my mouth water.

Anonymous said...

Jessica, I am absolutely starving looking at that pie. You lucky gal, to find so many blackberries to pick. If we can find any of those berries around here, I will try to make that clafoutis. It looks awesome!

Alicia P. said...

Awesome -- thanks Jessica! That last photo makes me wish I had one right now!