Apr 4, 2010

Hands of Helios

I want to preempt this blog post with a quick side note. I know a lot of my blogging friends are celebrating Easter today. I hope you all have a beautiful Easter Sunday. If you are a Christian, may you find peace and joy today. If you are not, may the Easter Bunny bring you loads of goodies. Now on to the regularly scheduled programming.

I was outside admiring the sunset a few days ago when two things occurred. First, I felt the most sure sign you will get that Spring has arrived. While taking the following photos, I felt a sharp pain in my leg. It was indeed the unofficial Michigan state bird, the Mosquito. Yes, those little blood suckers are on the prowl again. Pardon me as I scratch my leg...

The second thing to happen is revealed in the photos. If you look closely, there are clouds on either side of the setting sun that look like hands. The one on the right hand side is more visible. It is almost like Helios is spreading his hands saying, "Behold my work is done for the day."

In ancient Greek cultures, Helios was the God of the sun. He drove the chariot of the sun around the world bringing the sun's light to all people. His sisters were Selena (Moon) and Eos (Dawn). Later, Apollo became closely associated with both light and the sun as well. His name is occasionally interchanged with Helios, more commonly in Latin poetry than Greek.







~Jessica~

3 comments:

Lona said...

Simply Gorgeous pictures.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Red Sky at Night, Sailors Delight.... beautiful photos.

Anonymous said...

Hurray for Helios! Lovely photos, Jessica. Guess what, that unofficial state bird--ha ha--bit me the other day, too. Early, huh?