Dec 5, 2010

Construction

Today's theme is construction. Webster's Dictionary defines "construction" as the following.

Definition of CONSTRUCTION 1: the act or result of construing, interpreting, or explaining 2: a : the process, art, or manner of constructing something; also : a thing constructed b : the construction industry 3: the arrangement and connection of words or groups of words in a sentence : syntactical arrangement 4: a sculpture that is put together out of separate pieces of often disparate materials — con·struc·tion·al\-shnəl, -shə-nəl\ adjective — con·struc·tion·al·ly adverb

As you can see, a simple word has many meanings. I have a few things to share with you on this theme.

The first couple fits with definition 2 a and 4. Boy 1 had a couple of school construction projects that we were supposed to work on as a family. First, for mathematics, he had to take measurements of a room, scale the measurements to model size, submit a materials plan and finally build a model. It was very interesting to explore these concepts together. Because we were stilling living at a campgrounds at this time, we were limited on rooms to replicate. We ended up making a model of the billiards room in the recreation building.

The whole thing fits in a Twinkie™ box.


The pool table made with dowels, craft sticks, fabric, paint and beads.


A little chair in the corner.


The other project was for Boy 1's Geology class. It was the traditional build a volcano project. He opted to do the homemade clay version. We had so much fun with this project. From the actual construction to the test "explosions", we all had a great time.

The Volcano


The little boulders that came out from us punching lave flow holes into the volcano. We rolled up the dough and then colored them with our dye mix to match.


Test explosions were a mix of vinegar, baking soda, food coloring, water and dish soap.






The last thing I wanted to share with you is The Magical Mundane's new look, I rather like the three column format. Please bare with me on this. I am a stay at home mom. I work seasonally but for the most part I am home with the kids, which is where I want to be. Logistically, even if I went to work full time, the daycare expense would suck any income from it. I also work for a direct sales party company, Jordan Essentials. At the home parties, I give out hand spas and facials. Sometimes I even do foot spas. But since our move I have not been active much. I am still establishing new contacts.

This all leads up to, we are very broke! Between the economy, having me home so we don't need daycare, and the new house expenses; things are tight. So I have added an advertising section on the left hand side of the blog. By all means, do not feel obligated to visit but if you see something of interest, check it out.

I would especially like to draw your attention to my Amazon.com store. Pretty much, this is the regular Amazon.com you all know and love except I get to pick which products go on my referral page. I will tell you right now, all the books in my storefront are books that either are on my personal wish list or they are books I already have. I will not offer books I feel are sub par. The categories are everything from crafts to gardening to poultry books.

The books in the rotating gadget are picked by Amazon based on what the best selling titles in the category. Again, these are books that others are actually buying so hopefully it will cut down on the not so hot books.

Anyhow, if you are a reader and are already planning on ordering from Amazon, please consider checking out my store first. Right now, it is still under Construction but I am working on filling it with good, quality titles. If you have suggestions, please feel free to add them in the comments.

On another note, my sister had had enough of my long URL so she registered my domain name and set it to redirect. So if you are so inclined, you can now type www.themagicalmundane.com and it will still get you here. Thanks sis! I love you.

So that's all folks! I will see you tomorrow for Macro Monday.

~Jessica~

No comments: