Jul 10, 2009

Busy Week

It's been a busy week and I apologize for ignoring my blog and other internet activities. Between laundry, baking, other chores, visitors on several days and a trip to the movie theater, we have been busy as bees. By the way, "Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" got two thumbs up from all of us. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1080016/

Today's photo share is a before and after of the field that I affectionately refer to as the prairie. My father in law came over and mowed as it was well over waist high. While I was sad to see it go, we still live some what in town and the neighbors don't like having a "prairie" behind their homes. Plus the ticks are bad this year. Also, make sure you take a look at the last photo. It is a visitor that took up residence in the drainage ditch for our sump pump.


The back prairie before mowing with waist high growth.


The back prairie after mowing. Note you can actually see a neighbor's home in the background.


Green Frog (Rana clamitans) living in our sump pump ditch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rana_clamitans

~Jessica~

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah nice frog...

We had a similar problem with our front yard years ago. I ended up transplanting trees from the woods in the backyard to the field of 'weeds' in front of the house. We now have a nice barrier of green that gives us privacy from the road. The lawn isn't as large to mow as it would have been had we not done this. Leaving it just grow into tall grass and weeds made it susceptible to attracting wasp nests too. Scary when there are little ones running about.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Having frogs around is a sure sign that ecology is in good balance.. I saw frogs once in a while in our garden, but they love to cuddle in a well hidden cool spot which I seldom venture into....

So sad to see prairies ploughed and gone, and it is a nice gesture to keep some as a reminder.

Have fun,
~ bangchik

Chloe m said...

Cute little frog.
I used to live in Michigan, although I did not have much chance to garden as we did not own a house for very long there. I enjoyed your blog.
Rosey

Unknown said...

I think the 'prairie' looked lovely before it was mowed down. Great-looking frog. We only have the brown/gray ones here, whether they're frogs or lizards. I wish for colour sometimes.

P. J. Grath said...

Love the frog! Your meadow, both tall and mown, reminds me of ours.