Sep 24, 2009

Faery Mushroom Ring

While staying with my sister's mother in law in Alabama, we found this mushroom ring in the yard. The boys were very curious about it and I told them that you never are supposed to step in faery rings as that is how you get stuck in their realm. Now some of you may poo poo me for telling my kids that but I still believe in faeries and I want my kids to hold onto that sense of magick too. But I digress. My hubby had to go and ruin it by explaining to them that when a tree dies, even after it is cut down, the roots still remain. Mushroom rings usually occur as the roots begin to rot, from the outside in. I countered his reason with, "How do you know that the faeries don't pick rotting tree roots to set up their rings because it is easier to grow them there"? With that he smiled at me with the look that said "I am going to go ahead and just let this one go because you are a silly woman after all" and then we went on our way.

Mushroom Faery Ring





Close up of mushrooms in ring (taken from the outside, of course)



One lone mushroom in the yard that was not part of the ring. Poor guy needs some friends.



~Jessica~

4 comments:

Jane O' said...

That's amazing, how they grew in a ring.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

gorgeous looking mushroom. and they stay in a nice ring.... they grow out of cow dung or something, thus coming in circle? ~bangchik

Chloe m said...

It's good to keep some magic alive for kids. You did the right thing, in my book!
Rosey

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

I have just recently found you and really enjoy your posts. When I saw this Faery ring I knew it is Kismet. I will give you this link to my blog so that you can see that I too have tried to make the majick of faeries stay real for my grandkids. Enjoyhttp://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=8897790997537448009&searchType=CURRENT&page=2

Keep on keeping on....it's too much fun. Linda in New Mexico