Dec 15, 2009

Honest Scrap



This one came from Rosey Pollen over at Dung Hoe and Angela over at The Pagan Mom Blog.

Rules:
*You tell ten truthful things about yourself.
*You pass the award on.
*You include the link for the blogger who gave it to you
*And include links to your nominees.

My 10 Things About Me

1. You may have already figured it out but my favorite season is Autumn and my favorite holiday is Halloween. There is something in the air that just makes my heart and spirit soar. I love the smells, the cool mornings and the warm afternoons.



2. Sticking with the holidays, Christmas is my least favorite holiday. So many people expect you to follow certain procedures. You "need" to go to grandmas house, you "need" to buy certain presents, you need to do everything but just sit and enjoy time with the family you actually see everyday and feel closest to. I know I sound bah hum bug but it is more like "O Stressful Night" than "O Holy Night". The one year I limited our travels to two out of the six get-togethers we were expected to attend I got chewed out. The final straw was someone asking me how I expected to get gifts if we didn't show up and I told them I didn't expect any, otherwise it isn't a gift. If someone has some tips on coping with overbearing holiday issues, feel free to send them to me.



3. I am definitely more a cat person than a dog person. I can not even begin to estimate the amount of cats I have had over the years. When I was a little girl, we had about a dozen barn cats at a time but they were all my kitties in my mind. Since I have been an adult and on my own, we have had 5 (Ghost, Boots, Phantom, Inky and Mouser). We have only had 1 dog - McGruff the beagle bassett I had to give up due to lack of space for an energetic guy. He went home with a sweet little boy who was terminally ill and who's parent's couldn't afford a purebred beagle dog.



4. I touched on some of the animal charities I support before. Here are some of the other causes I support.

Autism Awareness: Autism Speaks http://www.autismspeaks.org/


Breast Cancer Awareness and Research: National Breast Cancer Foundation http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/



Cancer Awareness: Relay for Life http://www.relayforlife.org/relay/



5. I love my camera. Well maybe I don't love the camera so much as I love photography. I feel like I am naked when a camera isn't nearby. I will photograph the most nonsensical things if they appeal to me at the moment. My camera is retiring sometime this spring and I will be getting a new one. I am going from this: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A340/A34A.HTM to this http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D5000/D5000A.HTM.

6. I am an avid gardener and bird watcher. I sometimes am a know it all when it comes to those hobbies but only because I love them so much. I can't help absorbing everything there is to know. I am no expert though. I learn something new everyday.




7. I am a nature loving, dirt worshipping, tree hugging hippie. At least that is what some people call me. I follow a nature based faith and have never been more spiritually fulfilled. Like some others in nature based religions I believe in Fae, dragons and other "fantasy" creatures, just not in the sense that we normally hear about in books and movies.



8. I totally dig my veggies. There are very few vegetables I dislike. As a matter of fact some of my very favorite foods are vegetables. Artichoke, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Beets, Squash, Rutabaga, Sweet as well as regular Potatoes and much more I find divine.



9. I was born not to far from Manila, Philippines on Clark AFB. Most people never even realize I was born out of country. I really wish I could visit my birth place but now it is an industrial park and international airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diosdado_Macapagal_International_Airport

10. As much as I dislike snow, I would love to retire up in the Upper Peninsula near Whitefish Point. I just plan to stay home all winter long. In all seriousness, I think once we retire and don't have to run all over for family craziness, that is where I want to settle down. It is so beautiful and serene up there.




I am tagging the five blogs below. Please do NOT feel obligated to do this if you don't want to. I know life is busy or you may not do these MeMe's in general. I just want to recognize my wondiferous blogging friends.

1. Cake Wrecks: http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/ Jen has one of the best blogs to make you laugh while you want to cry at the same time. Poor, poor cakes.

2. The Junk Drawer: http://www.junkdrawerblog.com/ Kathy's humor blog is the best. Not only is it full of haha moments but it is interactive too. She runs little contests like "What's that?" on a fairly regular basis.

3. The Nocturnal Knit Witch: http://nocturnalknitwitch.blogspot.com/ Even though I cannot knit or crochet for the life of me, this blog keeps inspiring me to try, try again. Plus I love that I am not the only crafter out there who loves her tattoos.

4. Michigoose's Gander at Quilts & Life: http://michigoose-life-quilts.blogspot.com/ Another crafty blog. This one focuses on, you guessed it, quilting. This is a craft that there again I don't do but am inspired to.

5. A Little Sweetness: http://tashahorsley.typepad.com/alittlesweetness/ This blog has the cutest, and I do mean cutest, embroidery patterns, fabrics and goodies EVER! I can't even begin to tell you how much I want to use her fabric. I am waiting for the right time to sneak it in when hubby isn't looking. Whoops, he probably is now. Love you Babe.

Note: I did a MeMe similar to this before. If you would like to see my "secrets" from then, click HERE.

Company logos are owned by the companies they represent.

Clip art is by

http://www.bordersetsbyinge.nl

~Jessica~

3 comments:

Qtswede said...

How cool! I didn't know you were born in the south pacific. excellent. And, for the record, I love your dirt worshiping, tree hugging hippie ass ;)

Unknown said...

I know Whitefish Point well! Long before it was immortalized by the Gordon Lightfoot song. I too think the U.P. is truly God's Country....although many other places qualify for that distinction as well. The Pequaming Factory was also someplace in that general area which I loved to ramble around, not to mention the lighthouse at Whitefish Point. I started going up there when I was 9 years old and a return trip to show my east coast husband what it is like is long overdue.

Autumn Belle said...

Hi, Jessica, it was fun getting to know you better. What an interesting person you are.